Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making organic produce a priority

I did my usual grocery shopping today, and scored some great stuff. No, I'm not talking saving money, I'm talking scoring some good organic produce, which I something I do as much as I can. Yeah, it's more expensive, but if the  price of regular fruits and vegetables  reflected how much it actually costs to produce, it would be pricey as well. You know, once all that fertilzer, pesticide and herbicides is factored in. 

It seems wrong somehow that when we decide we need to cut costs, the first area we think of is food. Shouldn't that be the last place?

So, despite the fact that food prices are rising, I try to buy the best for my family, and that means organic when I can. This spring I will plant a garden full of the things we like to eat, but until then it's the grocery store for me.

Here's a breakdown of the fruits and vegs I bought today: (OG=organic)

--bananas--1.98 lb@ .55/lb--$1.09
--broccoli--2@ 1.99--$3.98
--bulk yellow onions--3.36lbs @ .79/lb--$2.65
--clementine mandarins--$5.99
--cucumbers--3@.99--$2.97
--collard greens--$1.681
--medjool dates--$7.49
--braeburn apples OG--1.76 lbs @1.58/lb--$2.78
--broccolette OG--$2.88
--5lb carrots OG--$4.97
--celery OG--$1.99
--romaine hearts OG--$2.99
--3 butternut squash @.99/lb--$3.93
--15lbs red potatoes--$3.99

This was all at Hyvee. I don't buy much produce at Walmart because it's usually yucky, but today I did score this:
--Organic cucumbers, 2 for $3.98. Ouch, but will be good in a salad without peeling.

So that's $84.87 for all the fruits and vegs I bought today. Hopefully my garden will be a good soure of food this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment